How to Get Your RDP Home

Every individual has the right to basic housing regardless of race, gender, or social status.

The city is responsible for providing and allocating government-subsidised housing. The Gauteng Province and the City have delivered over 29 000 housing units, and over 17 000 stand-alone units (together).

Applicants for an RDP house must meet the requirements of the National Housing Subsidy Scheme. This means you must be:

  • A South African citizen with a valid ID,
  • Over the age of 21 and mentally competent to sign a contract,
  • Married or living with a partner, or single and have dependants (single military veterans or aged people without dependents also qualify),
  • Earn less than R3 500 per month per household (so, if two people in your family earn and these earnings amount to more than R3 500 per month you will not qualify),
  • A first-time government subsidy recipient,
  • A first-time homeowner.

You need to submit the following documents to your nearest customer service centre in order to apply for a government subsidy house:

  • Applicant and spouse’s identity documents (green book or ID card),
  • Certified copies of birth certificates of children,
  • Proof of income if working, e.g., pay slip.

You will need to fill out the application form for housing subsidies and then be added to the Municipal Housing Demand database. You will only receive keys and a title deed to your home if the housing development is completed and if your name is next on the list.


  • It is illegal to sell an RDP house before you have lived in it for eight years.
  • It is illegal to rent out an RDP house.
  • Should you want to extend or renovate an RDP home before eight years of ownership, you need to get permission from the city.
  • If you are disabled, the design of the house may change to accommodate the special needs of the person’s disability.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *